Griddle-Fried Cinnamon Sugar Churros Introduction:
Experience a Latin classic made with a bit of American ingenuity – griddle-fried cinnamon sugar churros! Delightfully crisp on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, and drenched in cinnamon-sugar bliss, griddle-fried churros are a surefire crowd-pleaser! Looking to switch it up? Try a unique spin by adding powdered ginger and cardamom, or swirl in some cooked apples or nut butter for added flavor intensity.
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1 1/2 cups water
– 2-3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
– 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
– Oil, for frying
– Toppings of choice (Chocolate syrup, powdered sugar, fresh berries, etc.)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a medium pot, heat the butter, water, sugar and cinnamon over medium-high heat.
3. Once the mixture comes to a full boil, reduce heat to low and add the flour mixture. Whisk until the mixture forms a ball.
4. Transfer the dough to a piping bag and pipe 6-inch churros directly onto a preheated griddle.
5. Fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
6. Transfer churros to a plate lined with paper towels to let the oil drain.
7. Generously sprinkle with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
8. Serve warm with chocolate syrup, powdered sugar, and fresh berries.
Spice up the flavor of your churros by adding a sprinkle of powdered ginger and cardamom to the sugar and cinnamon coating before frying. Try switching up the flavor of the churros by adding a few tablespoons of cooked apple or nut butter to the flour mixture prior to boiling.
Tips & Suggestions:
– If your churros start to burn, reduce the heat and add a bit of oil as needed.
– The longer you pipe the churros onto the griddle, the thicker and chewier they’ll be.
– Serve warm with a side of chocolate syrup, powdered sugar, and fresh berries to enjoy the full churro experience.
– Have some fun with different flavors and try adding nuts, dried fruit, or candy pieces even further the flavor possibilities.