Griddle-Grilled Apple & Cherry Pie Introduction:
For those who love the classic combination of apple and cherry pies baked in an oven, have you ever thought of cooking them on a griddle? Griddle-grilling this combination of sweet and tart desserts offers a unique and delicious experience. Plus, you can switch up the flavors to create a variety of delicious new pies. With raspberry and peach, for example, you can create an equally yummy pie with an even more vibrant flavor kick.
– 2 pie crusts (homemade, store-bought, or pre-made)
– 2 large apples (cored, peeled, and sliced)
– 2 cups fresh or frozen cherries (chopped, pitted if applicable)
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 2 tablespoons butter (cold, cut into pieces)
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon fresh or bottled lemon juice
– 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
1. Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the apples, cherries, sugar, and flour.
3. Place one of the pie crusts on the griddle.
4. Pour the apple-cherry mixture onto the crust.
5. Sprinkle the butter pieces and spices over the mixture.
6. Place the second pie crust on top of the mixture, tucking the edges in.
7. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to low and cook for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
8. Carefully flip the pie over, using two large spatulas, and cook for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, until the other side is golden brown.
Tip: For extra flavor, brush the top of the finished pie with melted butter or sprinkle more cinnamon on top.
• Vanilla Ice Cream
• Whipped Cream
• Caramel Sauce
• Swap out the apple and cherry for raspberry and peach for a different flavor profile
• Sprinkle brown sugar and sugar spices onto the top of the pie
• Add a teaspoon of orange zest for a tart and refreshing flavor
This classic Griddle-Grilled Apple & Cherry Pie is made without refined sugar and without butter, so it’s a relatively healthy dessert. When served with recommended side dishes like Vanilla Ice Cream, Whipped Cream, and Caramel Sauce, it is a classic combination that is enjoyable for all ages.
Overall, this recipe is a great way to enjoy a classic combination in a new and delicious way. With just a few simple ingredients and a griddle or large skillet, you can create a wonderfully sweet and tart dessert that’s sure to become a family favorite.