Griddle-Grilled Greek Gyro Introduction:
Experience an explosion of Greek flavors with my delicious Griddle-Grilled Greek Gyro—a mouth-watering combination of juicy, tenderly spiced griddle-grilled lamb and beef, tangy tzatziki sauce, and crispy griddle-toasted pita. Alternatively, try griddle-grilled pork for a more robust flavor with the same succulent texture, or griddle-grilled chicken seasoned with oregano for a milder taste.
Griddle-Grilled Greek Gyro:
• 2 trimmed, boneless lamb shoulder steaks, cut into thin slices
• 2 trimmed, boneless beef shoulder steaks, cut into thin slices
• 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tsp smoked paprika
• 2 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tsp dried oregano
• 2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
#Tangy Tzatziki Sauce
• 1 English cucumber, grated and squeezed to remove excess moisture
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
• 2 tablespoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1 teaspoon dill
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
#Crispy Griddle-Toasted Pita
• 2 large pita pockets
1. Preheat the griddle or a large skillet on medium heat.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. Rub the mixture over both sides of the slices of lamb and beef.
3. Cook the seasoned lamb and beef slices on the griddle or in the skillet until they are golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
4. Next, place the pita pockets on the griddle or in the skillet, and toast them until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
5. While the pita pockets are toasting, make the tzatziki sauce. In a medium bowl, mix the cucumber, garlic, Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dill, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
6. To assemble the Griddle-Grilled Greek Gyros, divide the cooked lamb and beef slices evenly between the two pita pockets. Top with a generous spoonful of tzatziki sauce and serve.
To save time while prepping, use a food processor to quickly chop and mix the ingredients for the lamb and beef seasoning mix, as well as the tzatziki sauce.
Tips & Variations:
• For a lighter version, try wrapping the gyros in lettuce leaves or grilled vegetables instead of the pita pockets.
• Use the extra tzatziki sauce as a dip or condiment for other grilled dishes.
• Serve the Griddle-Grilled Greek Gyros with a side of fresh tomatoes, onions, and/or cucumber for an appetizing presentation.
• For a more nutrition-packed meal, add a few spoonfuls of cooked quinoa or brown rice to the gyro wrap and top with the tzatziki sauce.