Southern Comfort Griddle-Fried Chicken & Waffles Introduction: Southern Comfort Griddle-Fried Chicken & Waffles is a classic and delicious Southern dish that combines the savory flavors of fried chicken with the sweetness of a maple syrup-infused waffle. This recipe is perfect for a cozy weekend brunch with friends, or a special dinner with your family. Feel free to customize the recipe with your own favorite flavors, from barbecue-style chicken to spicy Cajun-style chicken, and everything in between!
– 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4-6 oz)
– 4 tablespoons butter, softened
– 1 cup flour
– maple syrup
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 2 teaspoons salt
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
– 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
– 3/4 cup buttermilk
– 2 cups all-purpose flour
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 eggs
– 4 tablespoons vegetable or melted butter
– 1 cup warm water
1. Begin by prepping the chicken. In a medium-size bowl, mix together the flour, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, onion powder, salt and pepper until blended. Add the chicken breasts and stir to coat.
2. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. While the oil is heating, prepare the buttermilk batter. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and the butter. Slowly add the egg-butter mixture to the flour mixture, whisking constantly until combined.
5. Dip the chicken in the buttermilk batter and carefully place into the hot oil. Fry for 4-6 minutes per side, until golden brown.
6. While the chicken is frying, prepare your waffle batter. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Slowly add the egg-butter mixture to the flour mixture, whisking constantly until combined. Slowly add the warm water and continue whisking until the batter is evenly combined.
7. Once the chicken is done frying, transfer it to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the extra grease.
8. Preheat your griddle to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the griddle with butter and pour the waffle batter in 1/3-cup increments to make 4-6 individual waffles. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
9. Serve the fried chicken and waffles with a side of bacon, and a fresh fruit salad.
For an extra flavorful version of this dish, you can try adding your favorite hot sauce to the buttermilk batter for a spicy kick!
Tips & Suggestions:
– For an extra crunchy waffle, try using whole wheat or oat flour in place of the all-purpose flour.
– If desired, top the waffles with pure maple syrup, or you can get creative and top it with your favorite jam or fruit spread.
– For a healthier option, opt for grilled chicken instead of the fried chicken.
– Feel free to add different spices or herbs to the dish, such as red pepper flakes, paprika, oregano, thyme or rosemary, for added flavor and fun twist.
– Add your own twist on the dish by serving it with different sides, such as coleslaw, macaroni and cheese, green beans, mashed potatoes, etc.
– Peaches, plums or berries make a great accompaniment to this dish, but you can also top the waffles with other fresh fruits, like bananas, blueberries, pears or apples.
– For a truly indulgent experience, top the waffles with a scoop of ice cream.