Spicy Southwest Breakfast Bowl Welcome to south of the border breakfast bliss! This Spicy Southwest Breakfast Bowl is packed with protein and delicious Southwest flavors, and comes together with minimal effort. Scrambled eggs, black beans, and cheese are topped with homemade salsa, guacamole, and fresh herbs. You can adjust the flavors of the dish to make it mild, medium, or extra spicy, depending on the type of salsa you use and the amount of heat you want to add.
• 6 eggs
• 2 tablespoons of water
• 1 teaspoon of olive oil
• ½ teaspoon of cumin
• ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon of onion powder
• ½ teaspoon of paprika
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup of chunky salsa
• ½ cup of shredded Mexican-style cheese
• ½ cup of pre-made guacamole
• 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
• 1 tablespoon of lime juice
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, oil, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beans and cook, stirring occasionally until heated through.
3. Add the egg mixture to the beans in the skillet and immediately reduce the heat to medium-low.
4. Use a heat-resistant spatula to gently scrape the eggs and beans towards the center of the pan. Rotate the pan to fold the eggs in on themselves and continue to cook, stirring and folding until the eggs reach your desired consistency.
5. In individual bowls, layer the scrambled eggs and beans, salsa, cheese, guacamole, cilantro, and lime juice.
6. Garnish with additional cilantro and lime juice, if desired.
Helpful Hack: To make this a more filling meal and to add even more flavor, try adding cooked chorizo sausage or cooked crumbled bacon to the egg and bean mixture before folding in the eggs.
Tips & Suggestions:
• Serve this breakfast bowl with a side of fresh fruit or tortilla chips for a Southwestern-style brunch.
• For a creamy finish, try adding a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.
• For a vegan version, omit the cheese and eggs and use vegan cheese and tofu scramble instead.
• To lower the fat and calories, use a low-fat cheese and substitute Greek yogurt for the guacamole, sour cream, and/or salsa.