Griddles can change your cooking experience once you use them. If you have bought a new griddle to make your backyard parties more fun then you must be thinking of trying new recipes on it. As you have never used one before, it’s natural for you to wonder, “What can you make on a griddle?”
You can prepare simple foods such as fried egg and bacon, pancakes, steaks, and grilled sandwiches on a griddle, or you can make recipes like All American Smash Burgers, Grilled Salsa Verde, Crepes, and so on.
In this article, I will talk about 7 recipes that you can try on your new griddle. These recipes are easy to make but fantastic to eat. You can make these recipes in your next backyard party and make your guests pleased with your cooking.
What Is A Griddle and What Are They Used For?
Griddles are heavy and flat iron plates that are used to cook all sorts of foods. They are mostly rectangular or square in shape, but you can also find round griddles. Most Griddles are portable, and thus, they are convenient for picnics or parties.
There are a lot of things you can cook on a griddle. A griddle is often used for frying eggs, slices of bacon, making pancakes, hash browns, French toasts, and many breakfast or brunch items. Griddles are very popular for making burgers, sandwiches, and grilled cheese as well.
If you are on the fence or maybe just window shopping between griddle brands, check out our Brand Shootout: Blackstone vs Blue Rhino to help in that decision! Essentially, what you can make on a griddle is endless!
Easy Recipes to Make on A Griddle
There are tons of recipes to make on a griddle. These recipes are simple, yet delicious which can be prepared in a few minutes and served to your guests. Here are some recipes which you can start making:
Easy Peasy Pancakes
Who does not like to have tasty pancakes for breakfast? You can start making any type of pancakes on your new griddle. Here are the ingredients for making some delicious pancakes.
- 1 to 2 cups of flour
- ½ to 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ to 1 tablespoon baking soda and powder
- Salt as necessary
- 1 cup buttermilk or full cream milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- First, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt in a bowl. Mix the ingredients well in a separate bowl. Then mix the dry ingredients with the creamy ingredients.
- Meanwhile, preheat the griddle at mid-temperature. Remember, griddles can get hot fast. So, make sure to have the right temperature for the pancakes, or else they will burn.
- Grease the surface with butter, and after a while, put the pancakes filling on the griddle surface. When a side turns brown, flip it and cook the other side of the pancake. It will take a few minutes. Finally, serve the pancakes with your favourite toppings.
All American Smash Burgers
Want to eat some burgers? You can make some All American Smash Burgers on the griddle. These burgers are juicy on the inside and crispy on the edges. Here is what you have to do to make them:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Sliced sweet onions
- ¼ cup mayonnaise and ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon mustard
- Cheese and pickles
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic pepper
- Hamburger buns
- Make meatballs with ground beef. Then, mix mustard, ketchup, and mayonnaise in a separate bowl.
- Slice the onions into strings or rings.
- Now, mix salt, pepper, and garlic pepper.
- Preheat the griddle and once it is ready, put some butter on its surface. Put some onions on the melted butter. Stir them until they turn light brown. After that, add a pinch of salt.
- While the onions are being fried, toast the hamburger buns on the griddle separately. Take the buns off when they are done toasting according to your liking.
- When the onions are nearly done, take the meatball, and put them on the empty space of the griddle. Use a spatula to make meat patties and thin them down.
- The patties will become brown after a while. Then sprinkle a little salt and spread cheese.
- Finally, when everything is prepared, you can start filling the hamburger buns. Put the mixture of sauces on the bottom bun. Then put the patty on top of it and other ingredients like onion slices and pickles.
Crepes On The Griddle!
You can make crepes on a griddle super easy and quick. It is so easy to make that you would want to have them every day. Here is what you need to do:
- 2 cup flour
- 4 to 5 eggs
- 2 to 3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Melted butter
- Mix all the ingredients well. Then pour the mixture on the preheated griddle surface. Spread the mixture with a spatula or the backside of a spoon.
- When a side becomes golden brown, flip it, and cook the other side.
- When the crepes are ready, serve them with sweet or savory ingredients according to the guests’ taste.
Grilled Salsa Verde
If you are on a diet but still want to eat something grilled and tasty, you should try Grilled Salsa Verde made on the griddle. You can eat this dish as it is, or you can add it as a side dish with other recipes like grilled meat, steaks, fish, chicken, and French fries.
- Take some tomatoes
- Pasilla peppers
- Clove garlic
- Lime Juice
- Put the griddle on medium heat for preheating.
- Then grill all the vegetables mentioned until they are blistered.
- When all the vegetables are prepared, blend them well with a food processor and add the necessary salt and lime.
- You can finally have your Grilled Salsa Verde with any other dish.
Smoked Salmon Fillet On The Griddle
Are griddles only suitable for meats? No, you can also use it for some fish recipes like a smoked salmon fillet. It is similar to grilled smoked salmon fillet, yet it has its unique taste. However, you have to be creative to make smoked salmon fillet on a griddle.
- Salmon Fillets (your choice and quantity)
- Lemon juice
- Other ingredients according to taste liking
- You have to use the griddle in two parts.
- One side of the griddle has to be on medium heat, and the other has to be on low heat.
- Get a metal bowl or tray and fill it with hickory chips or pellet, and put the bowl on the hotter side. Then put a lid over it to create smoke.
- Now take the salmon fillets and rub lemon and garlic on them.
- Put the salmon fillets skin down onto the low heated griddle side and cover them with a lid.
- Within 10 to 15 minutes, the smoked salmon fillets will be ready, and serve them as you like.
Things to Consider Before Using a Griddle
Before you start to use a griddle to try some recipes, you have to learn some basics about it. Here is what you need to know:
- Choose the right equipment. You have to understand your needs and buy a suitable griddle. From Blackstone griddles to camp chef griddles, there are various types and each has slightly different features and materials.
- You must season your griddle before using it. The seasoning of a griddle surface is done by greasing oil on it and heating it until it smokes.
- Use a food-grade oil to season the griddle surface.
- Do not put too much grease on the griddle surface while cooking.
- Clean the griddle before and after cooking anything so that no grease builds upon it.
Griddle Accessories You WILL ACTUALLY NEED
This is another big one. While your griddle does come ready to use….its missing some really BASIC items you will need.
- Griddle Spade and Spatula: These are the backbone of griddle chefs all over the world. Due to the flat-top design of a griddle, you will need to have metal surfaced griddle spatulas and spades. Something simple like this works great, see it here on Amazon.
- Inferred Temperature Gun: See Step 4 above, these are really crucial to fully understand what your griddle can do and what areas are putting out the heat you need, and what areas can be used to just keep the food warm while working on others. This is a great option that won’t hurt your wallet, check it on Amazon.
- Grease Tins: These are dirt cheap and save you an unnecessary headache when cleaning up. Simply drop them into the grease trap and toss them when you’re done! Check these here on Amazon.
- Griddle Bottles: Another must-have, you really only need two. One for water, and one for your chosen cooking oil. If you are not sure what I mean, check out our Guide to Griddle Bottles here. These on Amazon work great and are cheap, check them out here.
- Griddle King Apron: I know what your thinking “I’m not wearing an apron” and yeah, I get it. But all that changed when I got a griddle and realized how much grease is popping off the griddle surface and landing on my clothes. A simple apron solves that and my signature “Griddle King” or “Griddle Queen” apron is a cheap easy fix for you, grab it here on Etsy.
By now, hopefully, you have a good idea about “What can you make on a griddle?” As you can see, the possibilities are endless, from easy to fancy, the griddle is a very flexible cooking tool.
You can try out the recipes on your new griddle and experiment with other recipes as well. When you start using a griddle, you will understand that you can cook almost every breakfast, brunch, and picnic item with it. I hope this article was of help to you. Thanks for reading till the end and until next time farewell. Griddle King, out.