Here we will give you step-by-step instructions in this recipe on how to cook frozen burgers on a griddle or flat-top grill.
**Disclaimer: I use the term Griddle and Flat Top Grill interchangeably as (to me) they are essentially the same item and to most people, it’s just semantics. Simmer down, kitchen Karens (and Chads).
So, with that said, let’s do this: In the mood for a burger? We are too!! However, as you know, we don’t always have the time (and energy) to thaw meat, gather multiple ingredients, and put together gourmet burgers.
Sometimes you gotta throw on the frozen burgers and satisfy that burger craving!
PSSST!!: Want to step up your griddling game? Check out Grill Masters Club
Why Cook Frozen Burgers On A Flat Top Grill or Griddle?
Easy, the flat top cooking and griddle surface is spread out and large, giving you the ability to be the Griddle King of your next backyard BBQ. Cooking burgers on the griddle just comes naturally for most people as its an affordable, tasty way to get used to cooking on a griddle.
Also, griddles cook evenly and share heat around the cooking surface with other items your cooking.
This allows you to place some bacon, onions, or another item off in the corner to cook alongside your burgers!
What You Need To Cook Frozen Burgers On A Griddle
First things first, you need some time, so, you can estimate about 15 minutes for this entire process.
The majority of your time grilling frozen burgers will be spent on low heat letting the burger patty thaw on the griddle before cranking the heat up for the real cooking.
I wont bother you with which brand of frozen burgers to buy, in my opinion, there is no “best frozen burgers”
-Flat Metal Spatula – Plastic spatula’s can (and will) melt on the hot griddle surface. We recommend grabbing a good griddle kit off Amazon, they are inexpensive and work great.
-Griddle Water Bottle (optional) as it helps greatly with the cleanup.
- Frozen Burger Patties (Any Brand and Size)
- Salt / Pepper / Garlic
- Condiments to your liking (Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonnaise, Pickles, etc)
How To Cook Frozen Burgers On Your Griddle or Flat Top Grill
For this recipe, I like to start the griddle on a low heat setting. I’m not a big fan of tossing the frozen patties on a searing hot surface, that leads to burnt outsides and raw insides.
- Turn the griddle to low heat and add a light layer of cooking oil. We use Avacado Oil but many others will work!
- Place the frozen patties on a low heat griddle surface and allow the frozen patties to thaw.
- Once the frozen patties are on the griddle, sprinkle on your favorite seasoning, I prefer Smoke Salt, Pepper, and Garlic.
- Cover the patties with either your griddle cover or even making a tin foil “dome” over the burger patties. This allows the heat convection to thaw the burger patties the right way.
- Don’t check them every minute! Give them a good 5 minutes and take a peek. If they are thawed (red, blood appearing) you can then turn up the heat to Medium-High.
- After another 3 minutes, flip them over for about another 5 minutes. No need to keep them covered at this point unless you just want to, then go ahead and have at it!
- Optional: Add Cheese for the last few minutes to allow for proper melting action.
- Turn the Heat Off and remove the patties using the spatula.
Now the fun part! Gather around your sweet, sweet accomplishment, and build your MEGA Burger the way you like it. I prefer to double up the patties and palace a slice of cheese in between and on top.
Add my favorite BBQ sauce, some mayo, and some jalapenos and you’ve got a western boss burger! Once done, be sure to Clean Your Griddle the right way with this helpful guide, or maybe start planning your next meal with some Griddle Pancakes in our recipe!
Griddle Accessories You WILL ACTUALLY NEED
If you’re new to griddling altogether, I recommend checking out these accessories as they will save you some headaches and some greasy laundry.
This is another big one. While your griddle does come ready to use….it’s missing some really BASIC items you will need.
There you have it! You now have the skills to gill frozen burgers. If you had fun, check out these really cool Blackstone Griddle recipes. Sure, you can add or remove what you like to better serve you, what matters is that you get outside and start griddling!
Griddle King, out.